Our Team Is Here for You Every Step of the Way

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Firm News
  4.  » I’ve misplaced my green card. What should I do?

I’ve misplaced my green card. What should I do?

On Behalf of | May 25, 2023 | Firm News

You worked hard to earn the right to live and work in the U.S. on a permanent basis. And for this, you obtained a green card. But what happens when you misplace this coveted card?

While no one will ask you to show them your green card, it is crucial that you have it with you at all times. After all, it is evidence that you are legally in the country. And this means that when your green card is lost, stolen or simply missing, then you need to figure out how to replace it

So how do you replace a lost green card?

The process of replacing a lost green card varies depending on where you lost it – in the U.S. or overseas. 

Replacing a lost green card within the U.S.

Replacing a lost green card within the U.S. is relatively straightforward. You will start by filing an Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card (also known as Form I-90). This form must be submitted alongside a copy of your lost green card, a copy of government-issued identification like your driver’s license or any other proof of residency and personal information as well as the green card replacement fee. 

Replacing a lost green card outside the U.S. 

The process of replacing a green card abroad is a little trickier. You have to travel back to the U.S. before filing for I-90. However, you need to take a couple of steps before doing this. 

First, you need to notify the local authorities about your lost green card and obtain a police report. Next, you need to contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for directions. 

In order to return to the U.S., you will need to fill out the Application for a Travel document (also known as Form I-131A. This document allows you to enter the country without a green card. Once you get back into the country, you need to fill Form out I-90 as soon as possible. 

Safeguarding your rights

You will not lose your permanent resident status if you misplace your green card. However, you may have trouble traveling or finding work without it. As such, it is important that you do not overlook the importance of replacing a lost green card.