David Benham-Suk joined Stouffer Law in July 2021. Previously, David's immigration law practice at Catholic Charities of the East Bay focused on representing noncitizens detained in ICE custody. Fighting to secure his clients' release, David handled bond hearings in immigration court and petitions for habeas corpus in federal district court. David also represented clients in deportation proceedings before the San Francisco and Los Angeles Immigration Courts, challenged removal orders at the Board of Immigration Appeals and United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and fought visa denials in federal district court. Before he became an immigration attorney, David practiced general commercial and securities litigation at leading firms in New York City and San Francisco.
David is an immigration attorney because he believes that no one is illegal and that every person should be free to live and work wherever they please. He enjoys helping his clients obtain the basic dignity of legal immigration status. He is proud to help his clients resist when deportation proceedings threaten to tear them from their homes, livelihoods, and loved ones.
David's own immigration story also informs his work. His grandparents immigrated from the Netherlands to Canada and his parents immigrated from Canada to the United States. David grew up in Michigan, went to college and law school in Canada, then returned to the United States to begin practicing law.
David is proficient in Spanish and French.
- McGill University, Faculty of Law, Montreal, Quebec
- J.D. - 2016
- McGill University Faculty of Law
- Bachelor of Civil Law - 2016
- University of Toronto
- Master of Public Policy - 2009
- McGill University
- B.A. - 2007
- Major: Economics
- Major: International Development Studies
- New York
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- Member of American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
- Member of the National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild
Current Employment Position
- Associate Attorney
- Volunteer Attorney, Bar Association of San Francisco, Attorney of the Day Program, 2019-present
- Volunteer Legal Advisor, Refugee Legal Aid Program, Cairo, Egypt, January – June 2016