Our Team Is Here for You Every Step of the Way

  1. Home
  2.  » U Visas / Crime Victim Visas

Who Can File For A U Visa?

If you or your family members were a victim of certain serious crimes, you may be eligible for a U visa. U status is what is considered a nonimmigrant status and allows authorization to work for up to four years. Applicants for U status can also include certain family members in the application. Generally, a U visa offers a path to citizenship. A U visa holder can normally apply to become a lawful permanent resident after holding U visa status for three years. When an applicant files for a U visa petition, they can also often apply to waive or forgive past immigration violations and even criminal convictions.

Qualifying For The U Visa

One crucial component to the U visa process is demonstrating that the applicant was, and still is, helpful to the investigation and prosecution of the crime. A designated official at the appropriate law enforcement agency, such as a police department or district attorney’s office must sign a form stating that the applicant was helpful to the investigation or prosecution.

It is extremely rewarding for the staff at Stouffer Law to help clients and families turn a traumatic event into something positive when it results in stabilizing their legal status in the United States.

Contact Us Today

To discuss whether you or your loved one might be eligible for a U visa, schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys at our Berkeley office. Please reach out online or call us at 510-214-4007.