Our Team Is Here for You Every Step of the Way

  1. Home
  2.  » Asylum

Protecting Your Family Through Asylum

Asylum is a critical part of the immigration process. At Stouffer Law, we are honored to have helped dozens of individuals and families from all over the world win their right to live safely in the United States through asylum. Our lead attorney, Christine Stouffer, has worked with the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Pro Bono Asylum Program for over 10 years in different capacities, including as interim staff attorney. She is proud to continue to serve as a mentor attorney with the program and participate in panel discussions and trainings.

What Are The Requirements For Asylum?

To qualify for asylum, you must show that you have either been persecuted in the past or have a well-founded fear that you will be persecuted in the future based on one of the following:

  • Religion
  • Nationality
  • Race
  • Political opinion
  • Membership in a particular social group

The “social groups” may include being a victim of domestic violence or a group based on gender or sexual orientation.

You must also apply for asylum within one year of arriving in the United States. There are some exceptions to the one-year deadline if your or your family’s life circumstances or the circumstances of your home country have changed.

If you are genuinely afraid to return to your home country, asylum may be available to you whether or not you are in legal status here and even if you have been in the United States for over one year. Please contact us if you have any questions about the process or whether you may be eligible. The consultation is confidential, and we will provide you with an honest and thorough assessment based on experience and up-to-date knowledge of the laws so you can make the best decision about how to move forward.

Contact Us For Help Right Away

The sooner you begin your asylum process, the better, given the tight deadlines. You can call our Berkeley office to schedule an appointment at 510-214-4007 or by filling out our online form.